Saturday, June 09, 2012

Day 6: 31 Days of Pinterest: Rock Candy

Today's Pinterest find is part science project and part candy. What a great one to do the day after spending time at the Science Museum! This is one we started today, will watch all week, and will enjoy next weekend.

Homemade Rock Candy!

Easy and quick to do, but we'll see how it turns out... I'm a bit skeptical right now. :)

You'll need:
bamboo skewers
glass jars/glasses
sugar
water
clothespins or chip clips

First, soak the bottom portion of the bamboo skewers you'll use for your rock candy (depending on the number of colors you plan on.  I made four but had enough solution that I could have done 2-3 more easily.)  Then roll in sugar and allow them to dry completely. (so the syrup has something to crystalize to)


I then made my own contraption for setting them in the glasses to form for the next week.  It will take seven days sitting in solution for the rock candy to form on the skewers and during that time the skewers cannot touch the bottom or sides of the containers.  The pinner I pinned from used clothespins.  Since I didn't have any and didn't want to spend extra money, I created my own version using chip clips and a second skewer to stabilize the actual skewer across the top of the container.


I also didn't have a funnel and wanted to use one to pour the syrup into the glasses a bit easier, so I created one from the top of a 2 liter bottle... worked GREAT!

Prior to pouring in the syrup, I added the food coloring to the glasses so that when poured in it automatically mixed.


Then it was time to create the syrup.  First combine equal parts sugar and water and stir at medium high heat until all sugar is dissolved.  I used four cups of each.

Once that is dissolved, you want to add in cup by cup of sugar until you have a ratio of at least 2:1, but could easily be 3:1.  If the sugar stops dissolving, you know you are done adding.  I ended up using four cups water and eleven cups sugar.  Once it reaches a simmer, turn off, remove from heat, and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.

It's still very hot at this point, but you can now ladle it into your containers.

Then place your skewers, making sure they are not touching the bottoms or sides, and you are ready.  After a couple days you should start to see crystals forming on the skewers.  If not, pour back into a pan, reheat and add more sugar and try again.  After 7 days sitting in a WARM, SUNNY location, your rock candy SHOULD have developed (we'll see!)


We look forward to checking on these daily and hopefully having a treat to share next weekend!

Original idea found HERE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Connect!

Search This Blog

Followers

About Me

I am a single mom to four amazing kids; each of whom just happen to have been adopted. The first three were adopted through foster care, and we just completed an international adoption from Haiti. Our family has grown through adoption and I am all the more blessed to know each of my children. I worship a mighty God, teach Special Ed, love bargains, and am inspired by Pinterest... come along with us for the ride!


Olivia - 14

Olivia - 14

Braeden - 11

Braeden - 11

Liam - 9

Liam - 9

Macy - 5

Macy - 5

Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers store!

Blog Archive

What you should know about HIV

-HIV can NOT be spread through casual/household contact. HIV is not spread through hugging, kissing, shaking hands, sharing toys, sneezing, coughing, sharing food, sharing drinks, bathing, swimming or any other casual way. It has been proven that HIV and AIDS can only be spread through sexual contact, birth, breastfeeding and blood to blood contact (such as sharing needles). - HIV is now considered a chronic but manageable disease. With treatment, people who are HIV+ can live indefinitely without developing AIDS and can live long and full lives. - People who are HIV+ deserve to be treated with love, respect, support and acceptance as all people do. Additional information on transmission of HIV can be found on the Center for Disease Control website: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources

Other Awesome Blogs

Orphan Crisis

• 147 million orphans in the world
• 50 million orphans in Africa 
• Every 14 seconds a child is orphaned by AIDS
• 16,000,000 have been orphaned by AIDS
• Every week, AIDS claims as many lives as American fatalities in the Vietnam War
• 854 million people do not have enough to eat
• Malnutrition is associated with the deaths of 5 million children under the age of five
• Every 2 seconds an orphan dies from malnutrition


Hence the title of my blog

Little Did I Know

Little did I know that the road would be so rocky
Little did I know that the trip would take so long
Little did I know that my heart could hurt so much
Little did I know that God is never wrong

Little did I know that love could be so powerful
Little did I know that a dream so far could go
Little did I know that God would place the right ones
Little did I know that my heart, so large, could grow

Little did I know that a dream has it’s own timing
Little did I know that this day would finally come
Little did I know that four souls would be sent to guide me
Little did I know that they would choose to call me mom

But God knew all along and He had a plan to follow
God knew all along that my dream would soon come true
God knew all along that we five should be together
God knew all along that I’d share it all with you