Sunday, February 03, 2008

Olivia's 'Do



I decided to branch out from my experiment with Girlie's hair last week. I forgot the skull cap for nap time at day care and she ended up pulling out most of the beads in one day. I just took the rest out, but the braids still look nice. I tried the beads on Olivia today. I washed her hair in the "box braids" (I think they're called???) and just undid each section one at a time to redo. I then had to resection each into 2-4 new sections in order for the braids to be thin enough for the beads. She has about 35 braids!!! It took a while, but it turned out pretty well. She was very excited. The last few times she's had her hair braided in FL at the beach, Olivia has ended up pulling out beads. She vowed she wouldn't and really wanted it done, so we went the "extra mile." :) Tomorrow we head back up to U of Chicago for her next appt. They will check her med levels, etc. I also want to ask about a report that was released on the 31st. It tested 11 anti epileptic drugs, one of which is the one Olivia is on, and showed an increase in levels of depression, suicidal thoughts, etc.
Along those lines, I have a "lead" on what could possibly be the issue with Girlie. I looked at my past blog info after thinking that she may have had an ear infection shortly before she was "sick" the last time. Sure enough, she did. She would have ended antibiotics 4-5 days prior to her illness. She threw up one day, slept the entire next day, no fevers, one or two more weird throwing up episodes, crankiness in the mornings, all of which is exactly what is happening now. This time it began the day her antibiotics ended. Anyone out there in the medical field have any ideas? I looked up allergic reactions to antibiotics and found information on four types. Although one shows itself immediately, the rest do not. Could she be allergic to the meds she took for her ear infections??? It's the only lead I have. I'm going to contact her doctors the next day or two to see about getting her tested. It's just too coincidental. Hopefully we'll figure it out.
Liam has done much better. He hasn't had a fever today, but was still a bit cranky. Not completely himself, but no fevers at least. Here's hoping we have a great week! And you too!

1 comments:

Julie said...

I am not in the mediacal field but I am allergic to most antibiotics- and the symptoms don't show up until about 3-5 days into taking them- but my symptoms are getting a rash. I did not figure this out until I was in college- that I was allergic. It could be that is the problem for Girlie- would be great to catch it early!

Post a Comment

Let's Connect!

Search This Blog

Followers

About Me

I am a single mom to four amazing kids; each of whom just happen to have been adopted. The first three were adopted through foster care, and we just completed an international adoption from Haiti. Our family has grown through adoption and I am all the more blessed to know each of my children. I worship a mighty God, teach Special Ed, love bargains, and am inspired by Pinterest... come along with us for the ride!


Olivia - 14

Olivia - 14

Braeden - 11

Braeden - 11

Liam - 9

Liam - 9

Macy - 5

Macy - 5

Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers store!

Blog Archive

What you should know about HIV

-HIV can NOT be spread through casual/household contact. HIV is not spread through hugging, kissing, shaking hands, sharing toys, sneezing, coughing, sharing food, sharing drinks, bathing, swimming or any other casual way. It has been proven that HIV and AIDS can only be spread through sexual contact, birth, breastfeeding and blood to blood contact (such as sharing needles). - HIV is now considered a chronic but manageable disease. With treatment, people who are HIV+ can live indefinitely without developing AIDS and can live long and full lives. - People who are HIV+ deserve to be treated with love, respect, support and acceptance as all people do. Additional information on transmission of HIV can be found on the Center for Disease Control website: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources

Other Awesome Blogs

Orphan Crisis

• 147 million orphans in the world
• 50 million orphans in Africa 
• Every 14 seconds a child is orphaned by AIDS
• 16,000,000 have been orphaned by AIDS
• Every week, AIDS claims as many lives as American fatalities in the Vietnam War
• 854 million people do not have enough to eat
• Malnutrition is associated with the deaths of 5 million children under the age of five
• Every 2 seconds an orphan dies from malnutrition


Hence the title of my blog

Little Did I Know

Little did I know that the road would be so rocky
Little did I know that the trip would take so long
Little did I know that my heart could hurt so much
Little did I know that God is never wrong

Little did I know that love could be so powerful
Little did I know that a dream so far could go
Little did I know that God would place the right ones
Little did I know that my heart, so large, could grow

Little did I know that a dream has it’s own timing
Little did I know that this day would finally come
Little did I know that four souls would be sent to guide me
Little did I know that they would choose to call me mom

But God knew all along and He had a plan to follow
God knew all along that my dream would soon come true
God knew all along that we five should be together
God knew all along that I’d share it all with you