Monday, January 12, 2009

Healthy Living

Since my parents surprised me with the Wii Fit for Christmas, I have fallen in love with it! It was NOT hooked up in FL since the warning inside the package stated that anyone in the room could potentially see your weight and BMI! :) LOL I figured that would be good to try at home... by myself!!! :)

So it was hooked up and ready on Tuesday, and I've used it every night since. I do a lot of the strength training, and also enjoy some of the aerobics and balance games. My favorite I think is Hula Hooping!! (Brandi, you were right!) Olivia tried it and couldn't get the circle hip swing for the life of her, bless her heart, it was too funny! :) Braeden and Olivia both had Wii Fit scores in the thirties!! It asked them both if they had trouble walking! :) They just didn't get how to do the balance "game" which is part of the age measurement. But both had healthy weight BMIs. (We won't discuss mine!) BUT, my Wii Fit age the first time I tried it was 30, and considering I'm 38, that was pretty good!

I also got these great books while in Florida called "Eat This, Not That". I have three, one focused on restaurants, one on supermarkets, and one on kids' foods. They are great. They basically say, if you're going to go to McDonalds, then here are some healthy options and here are some things you do NOT want to get, or if you're going to buy ice cream at the store, lean toward these, not these. Some of the "not that's" are really surprising. The books run down tops in each of the categories. More than that, and what I have really gotten out of them, they talk a lot about nutrition. Something I just have never learned. I've learned much through these books.

I am really hoping that with these helps, and a program my school district is beginning called "Fit and Fine in '09", that I can really begin to seriously work on my weight. It's just not good. I have always been overweight, and I know I HATED how much I weighed when I was 25 or so, but looking back at the pictures and such from then, I would give ANYTHING to be that now!

I'm hoping that this is the change I need.

So, last night I made a GREAT dinner, and it was so incredibly healthy. I've been eating more pitas lately, much better than bread. I took two pitas and split them down the "pocket" to make four round "crusts." Then I diced three small tomatoes and chopped them with my Pampered Chef food chopper. I added a tablespoon of ketchup, three grated baby carrots (great way to "hide" veggies), basil, and oregano, then spread it on the crusts. On that I put browned ground turkey, and I shredded mozzerella for the top. Baked at 350, and they were some of the best "pizzas" ever!!! We also had steamed broccoli and apple slices. Liam and I LOVED the pizzas, Braeden was psyched out by the pieces of tomato and decided he couldn't like it, but ate LOTS of broccoli, and Olivia liked it all. I was so proud!

Here's to a healthy '09!!!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I wish my parents would buy me one! Your dinner sounds delicious!

Julie said...

I am getting mine tomorrow!!!

I hear you about years ago thinking I was fat and think, if only I looked like that!!! Sound like good books, might have to look for them.

Wii Fit - yes!! I want one. We played it at a friends house and I LOVED it!!!

Brandi said...

How funny! Now, I want a video of you guys hula hooping!

Ok, so we are eating way healthier around here since we are both doing weight watchers. . my tips?

1. FiberOne bars for breakfast. . they oats and chocolate is YUMMY

2. Lunch, I make a sandwich with double fiber bread, fat free veggie dip as my "sauce" and lean ham with light or baked Chedder and sour cream chips! super good and way low fat!

3. VEGGIES> I used to HATE veggies. But Greg makes delicious ones. He takes sliced zucchini, onions or green beans and sautee them in olive oil, spray butter and some lowry's season salt. they are SOOOOO good. All my friends who hate veggies will eat these up! And, they are filling!

4. DESSERT! Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches!
Love ya!

Bran

Post a Comment

Let's Connect!

Search This Blog

Followers

About Me

I am a single mom to four amazing kids; each of whom just happen to have been adopted. The first three were adopted through foster care, and we just completed an international adoption from Haiti. Our family has grown through adoption and I am all the more blessed to know each of my children. I worship a mighty God, teach Special Ed, love bargains, and am inspired by Pinterest... come along with us for the ride!


Olivia - 14

Olivia - 14

Braeden - 11

Braeden - 11

Liam - 9

Liam - 9

Macy - 5

Macy - 5

Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers store!

Blog Archive

What you should know about HIV

-HIV can NOT be spread through casual/household contact. HIV is not spread through hugging, kissing, shaking hands, sharing toys, sneezing, coughing, sharing food, sharing drinks, bathing, swimming or any other casual way. It has been proven that HIV and AIDS can only be spread through sexual contact, birth, breastfeeding and blood to blood contact (such as sharing needles). - HIV is now considered a chronic but manageable disease. With treatment, people who are HIV+ can live indefinitely without developing AIDS and can live long and full lives. - People who are HIV+ deserve to be treated with love, respect, support and acceptance as all people do. Additional information on transmission of HIV can be found on the Center for Disease Control website: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources

Other Awesome Blogs

Orphan Crisis

• 147 million orphans in the world
• 50 million orphans in Africa 
• Every 14 seconds a child is orphaned by AIDS
• 16,000,000 have been orphaned by AIDS
• Every week, AIDS claims as many lives as American fatalities in the Vietnam War
• 854 million people do not have enough to eat
• Malnutrition is associated with the deaths of 5 million children under the age of five
• Every 2 seconds an orphan dies from malnutrition


Hence the title of my blog

Little Did I Know

Little did I know that the road would be so rocky
Little did I know that the trip would take so long
Little did I know that my heart could hurt so much
Little did I know that God is never wrong

Little did I know that love could be so powerful
Little did I know that a dream so far could go
Little did I know that God would place the right ones
Little did I know that my heart, so large, could grow

Little did I know that a dream has it’s own timing
Little did I know that this day would finally come
Little did I know that four souls would be sent to guide me
Little did I know that they would choose to call me mom

But God knew all along and He had a plan to follow
God knew all along that my dream would soon come true
God knew all along that we five should be together
God knew all along that I’d share it all with you