Saturday, January 31, 2009

Blog Questions Updated

The more I thought about Jessica's question after I wrote the post last night, the more I thought maybe I really didn't answer it. I gave our situation, but didn't really say WHAT I would tell them or have told them, which I think is more what the question asked. ???

With Olivia we've processed numerous times about why kids in general get into foster care: At this time their parents can't properly care for them for whatever reason. We talk too about what some of those reasons are: drugs, hard life, etc but without going into detail. I try to answer whatever questions she has at an age appropriate level. So, we have talked about some of why she came into care and some of why she is not with her birth mom. She knows that I had wanted to meet her mom and start a relationship with her, but that we didn't know where she was and still don't, so it just hasn't been possible. To go to what Shea asked in the last post on whether or not Olivia's sister is positive, I don't have an answer for that. I don't know. I hope not. I hope that mom was able to care for herself properly during her pregnancy in order to not pass on her HIV to her daughter, but I don't know.

As for Braeden, we also have talked a little about why he was placed in my home, his parents couldn't properly care for him. Whenever I start a story with ... one day a little baby boy was born. His parents weren't able to care for him at that time, so a new family was needed... He jumps up and down and points to me. :) And I have told him that I never got to meet his parents and that I wish I had. We pray for them, and he's good with it. For now. I'm sure it will come up in many different ways over the years as he understands more.

Is that a little better??? I hope so! :)

3 comments:

Shea said...

I find your answers helpful and appreciate you responses. I worry the most about what to tell Oskar about his mother. My greatest fear is that I will have nothing to tell him, and he will always wonder. Liam is very lucky to have a chance at a relationship with his mom, but I have to say I think you are handling Braden and Olivia wonderfully. You are a terrific mom.

I have a question on behalf of someone who asked me, but I only had a vague answer. How does one go about domestically adopting an HIV positive infant?

Lisa said...

Hi Bethany! I wish I knew! :) Actually there used to be an agency that helped search for parents for domestic HIV infants/children. I haven't heard much about them and think that there just isn't the need domestically that there used to be. Mainly because most women take meds to keep from transmitting their HIV status to their children. I do know of people, like myself, who have adopted HIV + children through foster care. This might be more of a way to go??? Most states have an AIDS/HIV coordinator with the dept. of children. Possible to talk to them and see which direction to go to adopt in their state??? Hope that helps!

Post a Comment

Let's Connect!

Search This Blog

Followers

About Me

I am a single mom to four amazing kids; each of whom just happen to have been adopted. The first three were adopted through foster care, and we just completed an international adoption from Haiti. Our family has grown through adoption and I am all the more blessed to know each of my children. I worship a mighty God, teach Special Ed, love bargains, and am inspired by Pinterest... come along with us for the ride!


Olivia - 14

Olivia - 14

Braeden - 11

Braeden - 11

Liam - 9

Liam - 9

Macy - 5

Macy - 5

Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers store!

Blog Archive

What you should know about HIV

-HIV can NOT be spread through casual/household contact. HIV is not spread through hugging, kissing, shaking hands, sharing toys, sneezing, coughing, sharing food, sharing drinks, bathing, swimming or any other casual way. It has been proven that HIV and AIDS can only be spread through sexual contact, birth, breastfeeding and blood to blood contact (such as sharing needles). - HIV is now considered a chronic but manageable disease. With treatment, people who are HIV+ can live indefinitely without developing AIDS and can live long and full lives. - People who are HIV+ deserve to be treated with love, respect, support and acceptance as all people do. Additional information on transmission of HIV can be found on the Center for Disease Control website: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources

Other Awesome Blogs

Orphan Crisis

• 147 million orphans in the world
• 50 million orphans in Africa 
• Every 14 seconds a child is orphaned by AIDS
• 16,000,000 have been orphaned by AIDS
• Every week, AIDS claims as many lives as American fatalities in the Vietnam War
• 854 million people do not have enough to eat
• Malnutrition is associated with the deaths of 5 million children under the age of five
• Every 2 seconds an orphan dies from malnutrition


Hence the title of my blog

Little Did I Know

Little did I know that the road would be so rocky
Little did I know that the trip would take so long
Little did I know that my heart could hurt so much
Little did I know that God is never wrong

Little did I know that love could be so powerful
Little did I know that a dream so far could go
Little did I know that God would place the right ones
Little did I know that my heart, so large, could grow

Little did I know that a dream has it’s own timing
Little did I know that this day would finally come
Little did I know that four souls would be sent to guide me
Little did I know that they would choose to call me mom

But God knew all along and He had a plan to follow
God knew all along that my dream would soon come true
God knew all along that we five should be together
God knew all along that I’d share it all with you