Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Braeden's Night Out

We found a new sitter! :)

She babysat once prior to Christmas break for Braeden's Christmas program, and tonight was her second night. She hasn't watched Braeden yet, so I'm still praying for that. :) Instead of hiring her for once a week like we were doing at the beginning of the year with our last sitter, she's going to come every other week. We'll see if that helps Braeden not be quite so crazy with the sitter while I'm gone if it's not "his night".

Since Monday is a day off of school/work for Olivia and I, we are going to have a "girl's day" that day, so tonight was Braeden's night. I had mentioned to Braeden's teacher that I had thought about taking him to a Barber Shop, but was unsure of where to go, and she recommended one only a few blocks from our house which I didn't even know of. We started our night there tonight and I LOVED it!!! It's just a small barber shop, three chairs, and the three guys were sitting in them when we came in. I introduced us and told them Braeden's teacher had recommended their shop and that it was his first time getting it cut (by a pro!). They were GREAT!!! So nice! And I loved the signs posted that said "No Swearing" :) LOL

Even funnier, I've had a week of interesting talks with Olivia. She has unfortunately been hearing more about the birds and the bees than what I knew in 6th grade, and she's in second! It's been quite a struggle for me to know what to do and how to handle it. I don't want to be a parent who "forbids" her from seeing certain friends, but that's certainly how I'm feeling. What a HUGE drawback from public school! Anyway, these guys were talking about how kids today know and talk about so much that they didn't even think of until they were in Junior High, and what was appropriate on tv (not much!), etc!

It was so neat to hear others who share similar thoughts and views. God was completely working through this time, and in a way I never would have anticipated, I LOVE that about Him! I have visions (I tend to get carried away sometimes!) of us going there every two weeks, and them getting to know Braeden and becoming sort of role models and mentors. He could really use that! Not only a good male role model, which not being married would definately be beneficial, but also a black male role model. They could talk to him about things that I could never pretend to understand. Especially the prejudice that still exists in this world.

His hair looked so GREAT!!! He's such a little man! :)





After his haircut, we went bowling. We tried this one other time and they were closed for a private gathering, but tonight we were lucky. He had a blast! I haven't bowled in years. It was fun. (And I somehow got four strikes in the second game!) :)


We then left to go to dinner at Culver's - love it! (PS I did NOT get a turtle sundae even though I really debated on it!) On our way there I thanked him for spending time with me and Braeden said, "My pleasure!" :)

He then talked about his hair and said, "I don't even look like Braeden. Braeden is gone. I look like my big brother." (his brother is being raised by a friend of mine and we get to see them a few times a year. He really does look so much like him!) :)

3 comments:

Brandi said...

Precious! God is soooooo good!


You are such a great mom, too. I love how you do such special things with each one of them!

Brandi

Julie said...

So cute! He is a little man!! wow how they grow so quickly!! Love the bowling pics!!

JJJ said...

What a fun night! Congrats on the strikes :) Braeden looks so old - definitely a little man! Love ya!

Post a Comment

Let's Connect!

Search This Blog

Followers

About Me

I am a single mom to four amazing kids; each of whom just happen to have been adopted. The first three were adopted through foster care, and we just completed an international adoption from Haiti. Our family has grown through adoption and I am all the more blessed to know each of my children. I worship a mighty God, teach Special Ed, love bargains, and am inspired by Pinterest... come along with us for the ride!


Olivia - 14

Olivia - 14

Braeden - 11

Braeden - 11

Liam - 9

Liam - 9

Macy - 5

Macy - 5

Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers store!

Blog Archive

What you should know about HIV

-HIV can NOT be spread through casual/household contact. HIV is not spread through hugging, kissing, shaking hands, sharing toys, sneezing, coughing, sharing food, sharing drinks, bathing, swimming or any other casual way. It has been proven that HIV and AIDS can only be spread through sexual contact, birth, breastfeeding and blood to blood contact (such as sharing needles). - HIV is now considered a chronic but manageable disease. With treatment, people who are HIV+ can live indefinitely without developing AIDS and can live long and full lives. - People who are HIV+ deserve to be treated with love, respect, support and acceptance as all people do. Additional information on transmission of HIV can be found on the Center for Disease Control website: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources

Other Awesome Blogs

Orphan Crisis

• 147 million orphans in the world
• 50 million orphans in Africa 
• Every 14 seconds a child is orphaned by AIDS
• 16,000,000 have been orphaned by AIDS
• Every week, AIDS claims as many lives as American fatalities in the Vietnam War
• 854 million people do not have enough to eat
• Malnutrition is associated with the deaths of 5 million children under the age of five
• Every 2 seconds an orphan dies from malnutrition


Hence the title of my blog

Little Did I Know

Little did I know that the road would be so rocky
Little did I know that the trip would take so long
Little did I know that my heart could hurt so much
Little did I know that God is never wrong

Little did I know that love could be so powerful
Little did I know that a dream so far could go
Little did I know that God would place the right ones
Little did I know that my heart, so large, could grow

Little did I know that a dream has it’s own timing
Little did I know that this day would finally come
Little did I know that four souls would be sent to guide me
Little did I know that they would choose to call me mom

But God knew all along and He had a plan to follow
God knew all along that my dream would soon come true
God knew all along that we five should be together
God knew all along that I’d share it all with you