Thursday, November 12, 2009

Some Pain

Well, tonight I type partly one-handed as my left thumb from tip to wrist is in some pain. It's amazing really, how you can be going along, with the most mundane things on your mind... pick up Liam, then take Olivia to dance, go home with the boys to waste some time before picking her back up, dinner, bed, should be able to get some things done once they're in for the night... etc, and then the slightest thing can change in an instant.


For example, upon picking up your child at the home day care they attend, you could bump the door closed behind you, misreading the position of your hand, and slamming your hand/thumb in the handle/lock area of the door. Oh, yeah, that would be me. A silly, ridiculous, uncommon, mistake, but one that I'm definately paying for and is definately hurting. I'm really quite surprised it's not swollen and am lucky it's not worse than it is at this point, because at the time, let me tell you, I'm glad that there were a number of children watching my reaction or it would have been extra P. A. T. H. E. T. I. C. :) It hurt!


But isn't life just that way? We go along and out of nowhere, BAM! we're hit with it - life - like we never knew it could be, and never expected it to turn out.


This past week the husband of a teacher at my school was in a car accident. He is a police officer, was called in to a BOGUS call, which they didn't know was bogus at the time. He and his partner were riding along and BAM! their tire blew out and sent the car flipping multiple times. His partner walked away, completely fine. He is in ICU, and will remain in ICU for at least two more weeks, where at that point he will be released to a rehab facility for anywhere from two months to a YEAR. With his wife and 8 month old son at home. Life. Can change in an instant.


Do we really understand and appreciate this? I know I don't always. I know there are days when I'm somewhat happy to get the kids into bed, for just a little peace and quiet after what I consider to be a frustrating day. But, really??? Frustrations like bickering, talking back, acting up, not doing homework, throwing a tantrum??? Really??? At least I have my three. At least we are healthy. At least I have a job in this economy. At least we have each other.


And the days when I'm frustrated because Braeden's asking for the hundredth time to go out to eat and I'm biting back the words "We don't have the money to eat out every day", or when Olivia leaves her homework folder in her desk for the fifth time and acts like a fairy mysteriously shuffled it away when she wasn't looking, or when Liam is dumping toys out to cover his bedroom floor and I know I'm going to end up picking most of them up as I "supervise" him picking up... it's days like those I need to step back, read my Bible, remember my patience, and by happy for the mundane. Be happy for the silly niggling things that get under my skin. Because when LIFE hits, it's not always in a good way. When LIFE hits, it can be serious, and forever altering, and very very scary. I will appreciate the silly things. I will take time to remember that my sore thumb is NOTHING. It will get better. It will be a distant memory. A silly incident. Nothing more. I'm still here for my kids, and I choose to get past the frustrations and see the beauty.

1 comments:

Amy said...

Amen. Thanks for this reminder. Love you- Amy

Post a Comment

Let's Connect!

Search This Blog

Followers

About Me

I am a single mom to four amazing kids; each of whom just happen to have been adopted. The first three were adopted through foster care, and we just completed an international adoption from Haiti. Our family has grown through adoption and I am all the more blessed to know each of my children. I worship a mighty God, teach Special Ed, love bargains, and am inspired by Pinterest... come along with us for the ride!


Olivia - 14

Olivia - 14

Braeden - 11

Braeden - 11

Liam - 9

Liam - 9

Macy - 5

Macy - 5

Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers store!

Blog Archive

What you should know about HIV

-HIV can NOT be spread through casual/household contact. HIV is not spread through hugging, kissing, shaking hands, sharing toys, sneezing, coughing, sharing food, sharing drinks, bathing, swimming or any other casual way. It has been proven that HIV and AIDS can only be spread through sexual contact, birth, breastfeeding and blood to blood contact (such as sharing needles). - HIV is now considered a chronic but manageable disease. With treatment, people who are HIV+ can live indefinitely without developing AIDS and can live long and full lives. - People who are HIV+ deserve to be treated with love, respect, support and acceptance as all people do. Additional information on transmission of HIV can be found on the Center for Disease Control website: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources

Other Awesome Blogs

Orphan Crisis

• 147 million orphans in the world
• 50 million orphans in Africa 
• Every 14 seconds a child is orphaned by AIDS
• 16,000,000 have been orphaned by AIDS
• Every week, AIDS claims as many lives as American fatalities in the Vietnam War
• 854 million people do not have enough to eat
• Malnutrition is associated with the deaths of 5 million children under the age of five
• Every 2 seconds an orphan dies from malnutrition


Hence the title of my blog

Little Did I Know

Little did I know that the road would be so rocky
Little did I know that the trip would take so long
Little did I know that my heart could hurt so much
Little did I know that God is never wrong

Little did I know that love could be so powerful
Little did I know that a dream so far could go
Little did I know that God would place the right ones
Little did I know that my heart, so large, could grow

Little did I know that a dream has it’s own timing
Little did I know that this day would finally come
Little did I know that four souls would be sent to guide me
Little did I know that they would choose to call me mom

But God knew all along and He had a plan to follow
God knew all along that my dream would soon come true
God knew all along that we five should be together
God knew all along that I’d share it all with you