Sunday, January 16, 2011

Winter Fun?

The kids and I have had a blast the past two days finally able to spend some time down the street at our local sledding hill...



The boys got some great snowboards from Grandma and Grandpa for Christmas they were finally able to try out. But Liam was hilarious. He pretty much just stood around at the top, feet in the snowboard, without going anywhere. Guess he just wanted to look the part! And yes, they used their Lowe*s Build and Grow goggles as snowboard goggles! LOL




He did try it out a few times and it was good the board wasn't real slick and that there was some grass poking out! :)




Braeden, who makes friends everywhere, made friends with a boy who had a "good" board and Braeden was in high heaven! He did great too, but love the "bird arms" in this pic!



We then had QUITE a scare! A dad, his 13 year old son, and 3 year old daughter were sledding there also. Besides our two families there were just two others. He decided to send his daughter down by herself. At the bottom of our hill, lies quite a bit of "field" type space, then a bike/walking trail, a little hill, and the river. Do you see where this is going? I'm sure he NEVER thought she'd go that far. I didn't. Even with weight sleds don't usually go that far. But most older kids/adults also know to stop if it is going along that way. She didn't. And the sled kept going.

It went right out onto the river!

Her 13 year old brother was running behind, but not in time to grab the sled. And thank GOD that the first portion near the river's edge was frozen. And thank GOD that the 13 year old thought to yell to her to stay in the sled. Because the ice between the edge and where she ended up was thin. Watery-thin. Scary thin. As her dad, and then another dad who was at the bottom already, and then I, saw that she wasn't stopping we all ran toward the river. It didn't look TOO bad from where I was...


Until I got closer...


We were ready to call 911 as the final dad came running over, threw off his coat, and said he'd get her. What?! He was also the largest of us all. But he did. He walked around on the thicker ice and got her. And his foot broke through at one point and he went down up to his knee. But he did it. And all ended just fine. Thank GOD. It was scary! And a good up close lesson to kids who hear things you say sometimes but don't really believe those "possibilities" could really happen. Well, now you see they CAN and DO. Let's not let THAT happen again! Wow! Whew!

The kids went down a few more times, and then we were all ready to go.



Well, THREE of the four of us were ready... one obviously was NOT! LOL But he made it home ok! :)


1 comments:

Wow!
Your general pictures remind me of some we took last year with my three kiddos, but that story... EEK!
God most definitely is good!

Post a Comment

Let's Connect!

Search This Blog

Followers

About Me

I am a single mom to four amazing kids; each of whom just happen to have been adopted. The first three were adopted through foster care, and we just completed an international adoption from Haiti. Our family has grown through adoption and I am all the more blessed to know each of my children. I worship a mighty God, teach Special Ed, love bargains, and am inspired by Pinterest... come along with us for the ride!


Olivia - 14

Olivia - 14

Braeden - 11

Braeden - 11

Liam - 9

Liam - 9

Macy - 5

Macy - 5

Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers store!

Blog Archive

What you should know about HIV

-HIV can NOT be spread through casual/household contact. HIV is not spread through hugging, kissing, shaking hands, sharing toys, sneezing, coughing, sharing food, sharing drinks, bathing, swimming or any other casual way. It has been proven that HIV and AIDS can only be spread through sexual contact, birth, breastfeeding and blood to blood contact (such as sharing needles). - HIV is now considered a chronic but manageable disease. With treatment, people who are HIV+ can live indefinitely without developing AIDS and can live long and full lives. - People who are HIV+ deserve to be treated with love, respect, support and acceptance as all people do. Additional information on transmission of HIV can be found on the Center for Disease Control website: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources

Other Awesome Blogs

Orphan Crisis

• 147 million orphans in the world
• 50 million orphans in Africa 
• Every 14 seconds a child is orphaned by AIDS
• 16,000,000 have been orphaned by AIDS
• Every week, AIDS claims as many lives as American fatalities in the Vietnam War
• 854 million people do not have enough to eat
• Malnutrition is associated with the deaths of 5 million children under the age of five
• Every 2 seconds an orphan dies from malnutrition


Hence the title of my blog

Little Did I Know

Little did I know that the road would be so rocky
Little did I know that the trip would take so long
Little did I know that my heart could hurt so much
Little did I know that God is never wrong

Little did I know that love could be so powerful
Little did I know that a dream so far could go
Little did I know that God would place the right ones
Little did I know that my heart, so large, could grow

Little did I know that a dream has it’s own timing
Little did I know that this day would finally come
Little did I know that four souls would be sent to guide me
Little did I know that they would choose to call me mom

But God knew all along and He had a plan to follow
God knew all along that my dream would soon come true
God knew all along that we five should be together
God knew all along that I’d share it all with you