Monday, April 12, 2010

Updates galore!

I got my hair done, and got a tattoo… my first, should I say ONLY ☺… to help with an adoption fundraiser and to “celebrate” my weight loss. As of right now I’ve lost 73 pounds! What staggers me is the fact that I could strap Olivia on my back and STILL not have that much weight added back on! I can’t imagine her getting on my back and walking around and doing things, yet I was doing that every day for years! Unreal!

A few days after the tattoo, Olivia and I ran our first 5K. She LOVES to run and was SO very excited to do this! But, it ended up being COLD! 33 degrees in fact, and she could not get past that and feel warm. So I ended up walking most of it with her, running a few times in the midst, and trying to keep her spirits up. She felt so defeated and ready to give in, I could just read it on her face, yet she kept going, kept persisting, and went on. Halfway through a very generous soul gave her a jacket and gloves and that got her going again. We made it through, were not the last ones, and can now say with pride that we’ve done a 5K! And, even better, we have a great time we can surely beat the NEXT time! ☺

That 5K was held in my hometown, benefitting a wonderful Christian organization which I basically grew up in, Young Life. Young Life is geared toward high schoolers and is a crazy, fun way to share the gospel and get kids started on that personal relationship with Christ.

We spent some time with good friends Friday night, Braeden’s godmother and her two lovelys Saturday, went to a great Easter Egg Hunt while there, then headed 40 minutes away to where my dad’s side of the family live. My cousins were throwing a surprise party for my aunt’s 60th birthday. It was great to spend time with everyone and see people! We went to our favorite pizza place on our way out of town and although we got home late, it was a wonderful weekend.


The following Friday we headed up to a log cabin we rented for the Easter weekend. I wanted to spend some time with JUST US for a change and have some peace and quiet. It was great! The weather was gorgeous! We had time in the sand, time at a movie, time to play outside, time to build fires in the fireplace, time to decorate eggs, and time to hunt for eggs.




The sweetest surprise ever awaited me after the kids had found all of the eggs and their baskets and we went to sit around the fireplace and watch some tv. I pulled back the blanket on the chaise I had “claimed” while we were there and was stunned to find a hidden Easter basket. There had been no children hinting at me finding it, nothing, and I was amazed. The note inside, along with the foam eggs decorations and chocolate candy, was the sweetest thing!

If you can’t read it, it says: “Dear admirere I think you take care of your kids very well. Your kids are thankful for you although they do not act like it sometimes. Love, Secret Admirere”




We came back last Monday to the rest of spring break. On Wednesday I spent the day with Braeden and Olivia running some errands, going to a medical appt for Braeden in order to get a referral to see a doctor about beginning him on meds for ADHD. His teacher and I have been working together and both feel that this is the time to begin, using this last month of school as a time where she can watch him to make sure we get him on the right one. Then they were able to go to a local indoor bounce facility they hadn’t been to yet.

Thursday Olivia and Liam had neuro appts and Olivia had another EEG. Her EEG showed that she is still having seizure activity while awake, but mostly while asleep. That means she is not fully being rested at night which explains so much. My kids currently go to bed at 7 and are up between 6:15 and 7 in the morning. My boys could easily go to bed a good hour later, but Olivia can’t. I’ve tried putting her to bed later, especially in the summer, and she is cranky, emotional, and sometimes behavioral when I do. Well, now it falls into place. If she’s not even getting enough rest by going to bed at 7, she’s getting even less going to bed later, and when she’s tired, that’s how her body reacts. Due to her other medications however, her neurologist now has to discuss with them what to do and make sure any new meds they’re considering don’t conflict with ones she’s currently taking.

Friday I took a mom’s day and ran errands in the morning and saw TWO movies back to back in the afternoon with a friend! ☺

Braeden discovered Saturday that he has a new tooth coming in, even though he hasn't even lost his first one yet! He is DYING for that silly tooth fairy to come visit his bed! :)


Saturday was a zoo day, and the weather was GORGEOUS! We spent time with good friends and their two kiddos and had a blast!


And finally, yesterday, we went to church and then to get a family picture… much needed! ☺ It turned out great and we had a fun day at the mall!

Now back to work! :(

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Connect!

Search This Blog

Followers

About Me

I am a single mom to four amazing kids; each of whom just happen to have been adopted. The first three were adopted through foster care, and we just completed an international adoption from Haiti. Our family has grown through adoption and I am all the more blessed to know each of my children. I worship a mighty God, teach Special Ed, love bargains, and am inspired by Pinterest... come along with us for the ride!


Olivia - 14

Olivia - 14

Braeden - 11

Braeden - 11

Liam - 9

Liam - 9

Macy - 5

Macy - 5

Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers store!

Blog Archive

What you should know about HIV

-HIV can NOT be spread through casual/household contact. HIV is not spread through hugging, kissing, shaking hands, sharing toys, sneezing, coughing, sharing food, sharing drinks, bathing, swimming or any other casual way. It has been proven that HIV and AIDS can only be spread through sexual contact, birth, breastfeeding and blood to blood contact (such as sharing needles). - HIV is now considered a chronic but manageable disease. With treatment, people who are HIV+ can live indefinitely without developing AIDS and can live long and full lives. - People who are HIV+ deserve to be treated with love, respect, support and acceptance as all people do. Additional information on transmission of HIV can be found on the Center for Disease Control website: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources

Other Awesome Blogs

Orphan Crisis

• 147 million orphans in the world
• 50 million orphans in Africa 
• Every 14 seconds a child is orphaned by AIDS
• 16,000,000 have been orphaned by AIDS
• Every week, AIDS claims as many lives as American fatalities in the Vietnam War
• 854 million people do not have enough to eat
• Malnutrition is associated with the deaths of 5 million children under the age of five
• Every 2 seconds an orphan dies from malnutrition


Hence the title of my blog

Little Did I Know

Little did I know that the road would be so rocky
Little did I know that the trip would take so long
Little did I know that my heart could hurt so much
Little did I know that God is never wrong

Little did I know that love could be so powerful
Little did I know that a dream so far could go
Little did I know that God would place the right ones
Little did I know that my heart, so large, could grow

Little did I know that a dream has it’s own timing
Little did I know that this day would finally come
Little did I know that four souls would be sent to guide me
Little did I know that they would choose to call me mom

But God knew all along and He had a plan to follow
God knew all along that my dream would soon come true
God knew all along that we five should be together
God knew all along that I’d share it all with you