Thursday, March 05, 2009

Didn't Last Long

Well, those of you I've met IRL, you unfortunately won't get the opportunity to see Olivia's lovely earrings up close and in person. That's right, they are no longer.

I was so frustrated with her today. She has wanted her ears pierced forever. I was originally going to let her do it when she turned 10. Then she did so well at getting past her bedwetting and things were going along great, and I let her do it as a surprise Valentine gift. I talked to her extensively about not playing with them, how they couldn't come out before at least 6 weeks, possibly longer, etc. I thought she could handle it. And yet today she came home from school with only one earring. She admitted she was playing with them and took one out. I took out the other one. We're done, until at LEAST 10. I was and am very disappointed in her.

Along those same lines (?) I think we're FINALLY at a point of her beginning counseling. I have tried for a couple of months to get it situated, but unless I caught her adopt unit "person" actually in her office, she never returned my phone call. I got a hold of her and she tried to put it off again, but I said no, this is who I want, please send the letter. They have to send a letter to the person you want to counsel the child, for it to go through the adopt unit. A lot of red tape to me. I decided to have her go to the counselor she went to a few years ago from our old agency while her brother was having some hard times and then ended up moving. She already knows our situation, and her brother is what Olivia really needs to work on processing the most, so I think in the long run she will be the best choice for us.

Things overall have gone really well with Olivia for quite some time now. We still have little instances of attachment issues, but overall there has been nothing big. (Knock on wood big time!) :) I hope that counseling, for both of us, is a great way for her to re-look at what "happened" to bring her to care, why her brother left, and why we aren't able to visit with him. (His adoptive parents.)

1 comments:

ali said...

my RAD son did the exact same thing(in 3rd grade) i just said "dont ever ask me again!"

Post a Comment

Let's Connect!

Search This Blog

Followers

About Me

I am a single mom to four amazing kids; each of whom just happen to have been adopted. The first three were adopted through foster care, and we just completed an international adoption from Haiti. Our family has grown through adoption and I am all the more blessed to know each of my children. I worship a mighty God, teach Special Ed, love bargains, and am inspired by Pinterest... come along with us for the ride!


Olivia - 14

Olivia - 14

Braeden - 11

Braeden - 11

Liam - 9

Liam - 9

Macy - 5

Macy - 5

Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers store!

Blog Archive

What you should know about HIV

-HIV can NOT be spread through casual/household contact. HIV is not spread through hugging, kissing, shaking hands, sharing toys, sneezing, coughing, sharing food, sharing drinks, bathing, swimming or any other casual way. It has been proven that HIV and AIDS can only be spread through sexual contact, birth, breastfeeding and blood to blood contact (such as sharing needles). - HIV is now considered a chronic but manageable disease. With treatment, people who are HIV+ can live indefinitely without developing AIDS and can live long and full lives. - People who are HIV+ deserve to be treated with love, respect, support and acceptance as all people do. Additional information on transmission of HIV can be found on the Center for Disease Control website: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources

Other Awesome Blogs

Orphan Crisis

• 147 million orphans in the world
• 50 million orphans in Africa 
• Every 14 seconds a child is orphaned by AIDS
• 16,000,000 have been orphaned by AIDS
• Every week, AIDS claims as many lives as American fatalities in the Vietnam War
• 854 million people do not have enough to eat
• Malnutrition is associated with the deaths of 5 million children under the age of five
• Every 2 seconds an orphan dies from malnutrition


Hence the title of my blog

Little Did I Know

Little did I know that the road would be so rocky
Little did I know that the trip would take so long
Little did I know that my heart could hurt so much
Little did I know that God is never wrong

Little did I know that love could be so powerful
Little did I know that a dream so far could go
Little did I know that God would place the right ones
Little did I know that my heart, so large, could grow

Little did I know that a dream has it’s own timing
Little did I know that this day would finally come
Little did I know that four souls would be sent to guide me
Little did I know that they would choose to call me mom

But God knew all along and He had a plan to follow
God knew all along that my dream would soon come true
God knew all along that we five should be together
God knew all along that I’d share it all with you