Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Those Early Moments

Being an adoptive parent, one of the hardest things is missing those "early moments."  When you bring in and/or adopt a child who is "older" in any way you most often miss out on baby pictures, baby "firsts", etc and as the child gets older those become harder and harder to miss.  

Many times kids have school assignments about being a baby whether that be bringing in a baby picture and "guessing the baby", or doing a growth chart through pictures, or the dreaded family tree.  I first encountered this with Olivia when she was in kindergarten and was asked to do one of those "growth charts" from baby to now (at only age 5).  Since she came to live with me at 3 1/2, we didn't have a lot of change in pictures.  I gave her some options such as a random online picture, drawing a baby picture, etc but she wanted to just use what we had.  It's been hard to have missed those moments and not even have pictures to share with her or others.

This week I was granted a huge blessing.  Someone Olivia and I met while on our two week visit to Haiti has been going to Macy's orphanage over the years since she arrived at age one, and shared some great pictures with us of her!  These are such a treasure and will be even more important as time goes by and she is home with us. 






2 comments:

maureen said...

Lisa that is truly a blessing! My Katy came to me at 5 1/2, luckily her birthmom has shared a couple of pictures of when she was 3 and 4, so we have those. My daughter Mackenzie has been with me since she was 2 1/2, but we had nothing earlier than that until we received a text from her older birth sister and it had a baby picture of her on it. It is a bit fuzzy, because it is a picture of a picture, but we are so happy to have it! It is the little things that seem to make a big difference for our kiddos!

Blessings to you on your continued journey to Maci!

Katie said...

Wow. What I would give for early pics of my kids. I bet my son was the most beautiful baby.

 

Little Did I Know | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012