Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Birthday

We now have no littles under the age of FOUR! Whatever will I do! :) I do miss the "little" age, and simply can't believe that my Liam is now FOUR years old! wow!


Liam came to me at nine months old. As is often the life of a foster parent, I received a call at work midday and asked if I "wanted a baby?" Of course I said yes! I had parent teacher conferences that night, but being a special educator, unfortunately I had no conferences lined up except for one and a friend across the hall who said she would watch him during that time. So he showed up at work, driven by a CASEWORKER, at nine months old, not properly strapped into a car seat at all, and facing forward. I couldn't believe it! Well, yes, I could as I've seen similar many times, but it still didn't cease to floor me. Anyway, I digress from the point of my story, system ranting for another day...

Prior to coming to live with me, Liam had lived with his birth mom and then with another foster family. He was at the previous foster family's home just over four months and the agency was concerned that he wasn't developing properly. Upon coming to live with me at nine months old he couldn't sit up, crawl, stand, etc and was making only one true sound.

This was Liam within one week of being placed in my home...




Such a blessing to be able to see such obvious progress in such a short time!

He has caught up in many ways, still lacking a bit in the area of speech, and he's kind of a little peanut, but what a personality! :) And his eyes are amazing! He is certainly a member of our family and we love him to pieces!


Today we had originally planned on going to the zoo with our membership, but the frigid temps and the fact that he's been sick the past three days made that unable to happen. Instead we found a few things to do around town...

We first went to a local candy shop the kids had not been to. I gave them each one dollar and they actually found a fairly good sized bag of goodies amongst the 10 and 20 cent candy! :) (Gotta love the bday decorated Krispy Kreme hat my parents sent him!)

Next we headed to the grocery store to finish picking up his bday dinner supplies. On their bdays the kids each get to pick the makings of their bday dinners.

From there we went to Barnes and Noble to read some books, play with the trains, and help Liam pick out a little something from Grandma and Grandpa. They sent him one "large" gift and wanted to still get a little something else as well. He chose a reading Mickey light from the $2 clearance table and a Max and Ruby Valentine book.

Next it was home for his bday meal...
For Liam, we had McDonalds cheeseburgers, pancakes, cheese (The kid could LIVE on cheese!), orange pop to drink, and frosted cookies for dessert!) He was in heaven! :)


He then opened his gifts. I give each of the kids one toy, one book, and one outfit on their special days. Liam got this Buckaroo game I had found which I think he'll love, we're planning on playing it tomorrow, a cute summer outfit, and a wiggles book.
Grandma and Grandpa got an EXCELLENT deal on this Disney Zippity interactive learning game that hooks to the tv when I told them about it. Of course none of us thought about needing batteries, so it's off to buy some tomorrow after church so we can try it out! :)

Liam felt so much better today than he has the past three which was such a blessing! I did NOT want him to feel so yucky on his birthday! Especially since he really understood this year that it was his bday and what that meant. He was just too cute about it! Now we have a week off, then it's Braeden's bday on the 7th! :) (Hope he liked Liam's outfit today because his matches!)
Have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

DON'T KNOW IF YOU REMEMBER ME?
Linda Sneed, Wayne's wife. I sure enjoyed reading the birthday blog. Wish Each boy a Happy Birthday when their special Day arrives. They have a special mom! May they enjoy the ways God has gifted them....

maureen said...

I loved hearing about the day Liam arrived. I too am used to those "Would you like a Baby" calls. In fact my youngest, just 2 years old now was only 4 days old when I got her call. She was being released from the hospital in a city that is about an hour and a half away and the case worker said she would meet me halfway in a town that was closer. We decided to have her pull off the highway and meet at The Holiday Inn.

So for the past 2 years, just 4 days after her birthday, I pile all of my girls in the van and drive to the Holiday Inn in Lawrence, KS to celebrate Ava's "gotcha" day!

It's now our fun family tradition!

Happy Birthday to Liam!

Julie said...

AWWW he is such a cutie!! Happy Birthday Liam!!!

Post a Comment

Let's Connect!

Search This Blog

Followers

About Me

I am a single mom to four amazing kids; each of whom just happen to have been adopted. The first three were adopted through foster care, and we just completed an international adoption from Haiti. Our family has grown through adoption and I am all the more blessed to know each of my children. I worship a mighty God, teach Special Ed, love bargains, and am inspired by Pinterest... come along with us for the ride!


Olivia - 14

Olivia - 14

Braeden - 11

Braeden - 11

Liam - 9

Liam - 9

Macy - 5

Macy - 5

Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers store!

Blog Archive

What you should know about HIV

-HIV can NOT be spread through casual/household contact. HIV is not spread through hugging, kissing, shaking hands, sharing toys, sneezing, coughing, sharing food, sharing drinks, bathing, swimming or any other casual way. It has been proven that HIV and AIDS can only be spread through sexual contact, birth, breastfeeding and blood to blood contact (such as sharing needles). - HIV is now considered a chronic but manageable disease. With treatment, people who are HIV+ can live indefinitely without developing AIDS and can live long and full lives. - People who are HIV+ deserve to be treated with love, respect, support and acceptance as all people do. Additional information on transmission of HIV can be found on the Center for Disease Control website: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources

Other Awesome Blogs

Orphan Crisis

• 147 million orphans in the world
• 50 million orphans in Africa 
• Every 14 seconds a child is orphaned by AIDS
• 16,000,000 have been orphaned by AIDS
• Every week, AIDS claims as many lives as American fatalities in the Vietnam War
• 854 million people do not have enough to eat
• Malnutrition is associated with the deaths of 5 million children under the age of five
• Every 2 seconds an orphan dies from malnutrition


Hence the title of my blog

Little Did I Know

Little did I know that the road would be so rocky
Little did I know that the trip would take so long
Little did I know that my heart could hurt so much
Little did I know that God is never wrong

Little did I know that love could be so powerful
Little did I know that a dream so far could go
Little did I know that God would place the right ones
Little did I know that my heart, so large, could grow

Little did I know that a dream has it’s own timing
Little did I know that this day would finally come
Little did I know that four souls would be sent to guide me
Little did I know that they would choose to call me mom

But God knew all along and He had a plan to follow
God knew all along that my dream would soon come true
God knew all along that we five should be together
God knew all along that I’d share it all with you