Saturday, August 01, 2009

Soccer Season

This is a first for our family, and I am officially a soccer mom! :)

We're having lots of fun trying out soccer this year. Our local association began mid July and since that was the perfect time for us with our vacation this year, we signed up last spring. Braeden wanted to try it, so even though we've done gymnastics, swim lessons, tae kwon do, all to no avail with him, I decided to try again.

Practices for both have gone well. Olivia loves soccer, as she does with everything physical she's tried, and she does well, especially for her first year. Braeden has been Braeden. :) He does well when he's focused and paying attention and engaged, and if he's waiting in line to shoot, or something similar, he is off task to say the least. :)

Today was the first day of games. We began at 8:30 am with Braeden's game. I was AMAZED! He did GREAT!!!! He played about half the game, and while in he was focused, he knew where to be and what goal to go for (something which this age is not always so good at!), and he even shot a goal! I was SO PROUD of him! I really hope he continues and soccer can be something for him "to do."


Olivia's game was at 1:00 in the afternoon. We had some rain, but that didn't stop them! She did AWESOME and played most of the game! She also scored a goal and I was so excited for her! I think she was exhausted (her age group's field is quite larger than Braeden's), but said she wished she could do it all again!


The only downfall was that we missed nap time. Olivia just gets so very tired, especially during the summer when we're so active and out and about. We had some issues tonight, so next time we have a mid day game I think we'll do at least a morning rest time and see if that helps.
On other fronts, we've been busy as ever. We joined the local YMCA to swim and play and hopefully so mom has a place to workout. :) It's only a couple blocks from our home, so we've walked there a few times. We've taken the bikes out, visited the nearby children's museum (free on Tuesdays!), had some hometown friends over to visit and play Wii, gone to Lincoln Park Zoo, enjoyed some $1 Wednesday morning movies, and spent a WONDERFUL day at a blogger friend's who lives in this area though we had never met! :) She and her husband have 5 children, two of whom are adopted from Eithiopia. Two other of her friends also brought their kids over - one has two bio and two adopted from Eithiopia, and the other has three from Eithiopia and two from Russia. It was a blessed day, and I truly enjoyed getting to know these wonderful women and asking lots of questions about international adoption! :) I'm so very close to starting this process!!! Just waiting for the final go from God... but it's coming soon! :)
I have lots more I want to blog about, but still have yucky dial up at home and posting pics and such just takes FOREVER. I'm planning on getting wireless, so hoping I make the call and get it going this week!

1 comments:

Love the soccer shots! Happy to see an update! And what's this I hear about being "so close" to starting an international adoption?! Do tell! :))

Boa starts soccer in a few weeks, and he's also trying karate for the first time tomorrow. He was going to do tumbling again, which was fine, even though he's done it several times and I feel like I'm just paying for him to go play on fun stuff for a bit. Then out of the blue the other day, he said, "Can I change a sport? Or is it too late? What about karate?" Should be interesting.hhhehehehe.

Post a Comment

Let's Connect!

Search This Blog

Followers

About Me

I am a single mom to four amazing kids; each of whom just happen to have been adopted. The first three were adopted through foster care, and we just completed an international adoption from Haiti. Our family has grown through adoption and I am all the more blessed to know each of my children. I worship a mighty God, teach Special Ed, love bargains, and am inspired by Pinterest... come along with us for the ride!


Olivia - 14

Olivia - 14

Braeden - 11

Braeden - 11

Liam - 9

Liam - 9

Macy - 5

Macy - 5

Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers store!

Blog Archive

What you should know about HIV

-HIV can NOT be spread through casual/household contact. HIV is not spread through hugging, kissing, shaking hands, sharing toys, sneezing, coughing, sharing food, sharing drinks, bathing, swimming or any other casual way. It has been proven that HIV and AIDS can only be spread through sexual contact, birth, breastfeeding and blood to blood contact (such as sharing needles). - HIV is now considered a chronic but manageable disease. With treatment, people who are HIV+ can live indefinitely without developing AIDS and can live long and full lives. - People who are HIV+ deserve to be treated with love, respect, support and acceptance as all people do. Additional information on transmission of HIV can be found on the Center for Disease Control website: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources

Other Awesome Blogs

Orphan Crisis

• 147 million orphans in the world
• 50 million orphans in Africa 
• Every 14 seconds a child is orphaned by AIDS
• 16,000,000 have been orphaned by AIDS
• Every week, AIDS claims as many lives as American fatalities in the Vietnam War
• 854 million people do not have enough to eat
• Malnutrition is associated with the deaths of 5 million children under the age of five
• Every 2 seconds an orphan dies from malnutrition


Hence the title of my blog

Little Did I Know

Little did I know that the road would be so rocky
Little did I know that the trip would take so long
Little did I know that my heart could hurt so much
Little did I know that God is never wrong

Little did I know that love could be so powerful
Little did I know that a dream so far could go
Little did I know that God would place the right ones
Little did I know that my heart, so large, could grow

Little did I know that a dream has it’s own timing
Little did I know that this day would finally come
Little did I know that four souls would be sent to guide me
Little did I know that they would choose to call me mom

But God knew all along and He had a plan to follow
God knew all along that my dream would soon come true
God knew all along that we five should be together
God knew all along that I’d share it all with you