Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Scariest Night Ever

This has been a long weekend. Friday my parents came in town for our family reunion. We watched Olivia's gymnastics "show" which ended her camp week, had dinner, and showed them the house. Saturday morning we left for the 2 1/2 hour drive to our family reunion. We had lunch there with friends of the family, dinner with our extended family, and then went to my uncle's. The kids love going to his house, as that is where they get to ride horses, a "real" ATV, and feed the barn cats. This year they also were able to ride a big tractor. They had a blast! The first time Braeden rode the horses, he was the exact same age Little One is now, but I couldn't imagine putting Little One on the horse! He didn't ride. :)

That night was a nightmare. About 10:30, Little One woke crying. All I'm going to describe happened so incredibly fast, this is from having time to think and piece things together. The first cry was "normal," and I wondered "Will he go back to sleep?" The next two cries were NOT. Something was WRONG! It was almost like he was throwing up or something. I went to pick him up and he was pretty much dead weight in my arms. It was not right. I rushed to the bathroom and turned the light on. I could see a little something by his mouth and wiped it and the inside to see if something was lodged there. He was not moving. I felt like I was holding a baby who would not be with me long. Flashes of headlines of "Foster Child Dies in Hotel" actually ran through my head. I was panic-ed. I didn't know what to do. He was looking at me somewhat, but it was like looking through a wall he couldn't get through. He was not floppy limp, nor rigid, but did not have the ability to move either. I had no idea if he was even breathing.

I rushed to my parents room down the hall and pounded until they opened the door. I yelled that something was wrong and I didn't know if he was breathing or what was happening. My dad dialed 911 and I told my mom to go to the desk and get a key for my room as the door slammed behind me without my key and Braeden and Olivia were still back there. She did and I went to the lobby shortly after to await the ambulance. A hotel worker was there and I told her what happened. They dialed 911 too and were told an ambulance was on the way. Another worker came and was helping me calm down and trying to listen to Little One. As she was patting him, he "came out of it." She said, "Oh, there you are, hello," and began calmly talking to him.

A police officer came and was so helpful and kind. I went through what happened. The ambulance came then too and they were wonderful. They checked him out but he checked out perfectly. No fever, sounded fine front and back, vitals were great, etc. They said they didn't need to take him, but it was my choice. A horrible choice to have to make, but I kept him there. The rest of the night was spent with my dad in the kids room, they didn't wake at all through any of it, and my mom and I in the other room with Little One. He slept on the bed next to me, propped up. Same the next night.

I called the Dr. Monday morning to follow up and let them know what happened. The receptionist told me that he wasn't in office that afternoon when we got back to town, but she would talk to him and see what he wanted us to do.

Sunday was our reunion, and we did dinner with the family again. We left Monday morning to take my dad to the airport to fly back, while my mom is staying through the week and flying with us to Florida on the 9th for our vacation there. I heard back from the Dr. around noon. They said that he wanted me to take Little One to the ER to have him checked out when we returned. We got back at 2, unloaded the car, put the big kids down for naps, and I took Little One to ER. We were there from 2:40-8!!! They tested him for RSV and did a chest XRay. Those came back fine, so they ran blood and lab tests. Except for two which had to "grow" and will be "done" tomorrow, the rest came back fine. The Dr there said that the only other tests they could really do would be a lumbar puncture and/or CAT scan and they didn't feel those were necessary. They did find that he had an upper respiratory infection and gave him antibiotics for that. So, after 5 1/2 hours we were able to leave. It was bitter sweet. I hoped to find something and "fix" it, but I also hoped there wasn't anything "wrong" too.

After thinking more about all of what happened, I'm thinking it may have been some type of seizure. He never coughed, or choked, or struggled to breathe. We thought he spit up and was unable to breathe basically, but he just "came out of it." He couldn't move his body though he looked at you. I'm trying to get him in to follow up with the DR before we leave, but supposedly they have NO openings. Most Drs I've ever been to have some time available during the day for parents who call in the morning with sick kids, this is crazy. They aren't open tomorrow. Who knows if we'll get in. I really am not liking this Dr much. I wish he could go to Braeden and Olivia's, but he's not taking any medicaid patients. Yuck. I HATE MEDICAID!!!

Please pray for Little One. I have no idea if this is the start of something major, or if it was a horrible fluke, a one-time instance. ???


Julie said...

That is so scary! I hope it was just a one time thing. A CT scan should show if it was seizure activity- or an EEG. Bless his heart! I am sure you were so freaked out! Hang in there- ! prayers sent!

Post a Comment

Let's Connect!

Search This Blog


About Me

I am a single mom to four amazing kids; each of whom just happen to have been adopted. The first three were adopted through foster care, and we just completed an international adoption from Haiti. Our family has grown through adoption and I am all the more blessed to know each of my children. I worship a mighty God, teach Special Ed, love bargains, and am inspired by Pinterest... come along with us for the ride!

Olivia - 14

Olivia - 14

Braeden - 11

Braeden - 11

Liam - 9

Liam - 9

Macy - 5

Macy - 5

Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers store!

Blog Archive

What you should know about HIV

-HIV can NOT be spread through casual/household contact. HIV is not spread through hugging, kissing, shaking hands, sharing toys, sneezing, coughing, sharing food, sharing drinks, bathing, swimming or any other casual way. It has been proven that HIV and AIDS can only be spread through sexual contact, birth, breastfeeding and blood to blood contact (such as sharing needles). - HIV is now considered a chronic but manageable disease. With treatment, people who are HIV+ can live indefinitely without developing AIDS and can live long and full lives. - People who are HIV+ deserve to be treated with love, respect, support and acceptance as all people do. Additional information on transmission of HIV can be found on the Center for Disease Control website: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources

Other Awesome Blogs

Orphan Crisis

• 147 million orphans in the world
• 50 million orphans in Africa 
• Every 14 seconds a child is orphaned by AIDS
• 16,000,000 have been orphaned by AIDS
• Every week, AIDS claims as many lives as American fatalities in the Vietnam War
• 854 million people do not have enough to eat
• Malnutrition is associated with the deaths of 5 million children under the age of five
• Every 2 seconds an orphan dies from malnutrition

Hence the title of my blog

Little Did I Know

Little did I know that the road would be so rocky
Little did I know that the trip would take so long
Little did I know that my heart could hurt so much
Little did I know that God is never wrong

Little did I know that love could be so powerful
Little did I know that a dream so far could go
Little did I know that God would place the right ones
Little did I know that my heart, so large, could grow

Little did I know that a dream has it’s own timing
Little did I know that this day would finally come
Little did I know that four souls would be sent to guide me
Little did I know that they would choose to call me mom

But God knew all along and He had a plan to follow
God knew all along that my dream would soon come true
God knew all along that we five should be together
God knew all along that I’d share it all with you