Thursday, September 09, 2010

Goings On

Braeden had a wonderful night last night at church... I was nervous to the core. I had written out a note to his teachers (our Wednesday night programming for the year began last night... this is our first time trying it, they used to go to bed too early and I really want to be in a small group, plus the kids' programming sounded really great for this year). I explained in the note a little about his ADHD and new meds, ideas to hopefully help, and my prayers that things would go well. I want them to know I am working on his behavior and it's not that I'm dropping him off to "get away" from him and let someone else "deal." He did well and I was so glad. Not so good tonight however.

Tonight we began our every other Thursday night with a sitter school year "routine." I began this a couple years ago as a way to take a few nights to myself and a few nights to take kids out by themselves one at a time for some quality time together. Our wonderful, Christian, local college attending, sitter is back from the summer and tonight we began with mom's night out. Next week Braeden and Olivia have their back to school parent nights so they will have individual "dates" then. I had originally planned to go out with a friend to dinner and a movie but she ended up unable to go, so I went solo. Got a little shopping in and then went to a movie. Halfway through I was texted that our sitter was having NO control over Braeden. I left (which was really ok since I was not thrilled with the movie) and got home shortly after. I could tell she was frazzled and felt for her! :( Braeden came and apologized without prompting. Part of the problem was that not only was he being obstinate, but Liam was following suit in a big way. They got a stern talking to, Braeden was genuinely sorry, Liam cried because I said I was going to "tell Papa and Grammy" :), and they went to bed in separate areas of the house. Braeden will be doing some jobs around the house this weekend to "pay" mom back for the movie she missed. :)

On BETTER and BRIGHTER news... Yesterday I received notice that I am officially approved for the Hong Kong program! Our second app was officially approved! They also sent the forms and instructions to begin paperwork for filing our I800a, basically asking the government to allow us to adopt a foreign-born child. I won't be able to file yet, as my home study needs to be finished and approved by our state, but then I can send it in! Once that's approved I can begin to inquire on any children on the waiting child list! (Currently there aren't any that I feel God is directing us towards, so I am not in a rush and know it will all happen in HIS time, not mine!) Of course, the approval letter was also the letter asking for that next big chunk of our fee. :) I'll be sending it in this weekend and although I "have" it, technically I'll be taking out $700 from our (VERY small) college fund for the kids, so will be needing to replace that asap. $700 isn't bad though and I know God can fill that up soon! :)

Also, school... amazingly the SECOND I left the room to "test" one with Dibels, the other six somehow decided they could do EVERY little thing they know I don't "allow" even though our social worker and my assistant were there with them. They both told me they just couldn't believe how blatant it was! BUT, we also saw real progress with a lot of the kids today. God heard those prayers!!! One student who I don't think knew how to even use paper, who couldn't write his own first name under three inches tall and all over the paper, today sat down with me for Math and wrote his name at the top corner of his paper in around a half inch tall space with no problem whatsoever. Sounds like nothing, but for him a HUGE gain! And another one who is so incredibly stubborn she won't answer me AT ALL if she doesn't feel like it, not even to say "I don't know" to something so I have no idea what she knows or is learning at times, and will only usually look at my face instead of the sight word I'm trying to get her to work at sounding out, kept her face on the sight word cards and not me and at least tried each word no matter what, an INCREDIBLE step for her! And, my one student who is quite large, who is my fifth grader and has done "gross motor" (exercise DVDs :) ) with me for two years and is ALWAYS complaining and being lazy and not "doing" it, worked his tush off for me today (seriously it's like 15-20 min of little kids Tae Bo!) and did it without complaining! I was SO PROUD of them! Even with all the annoying card changes! :) LOL Thanks for the prayers!

Remember: Our small auction ends next Saturday, the 18th, so be sure to bid for one of the three tshirt/book sets! Set one and two have Large shirts and set three has an XLarge. All three have the same book along with the shirt...



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Connect!

Search This Blog

Followers

About Me

I am a single mom to four amazing kids; each of whom just happen to have been adopted. The first three were adopted through foster care, and we just completed an international adoption from Haiti. Our family has grown through adoption and I am all the more blessed to know each of my children. I worship a mighty God, teach Special Ed, love bargains, and am inspired by Pinterest... come along with us for the ride!


Olivia - 14

Olivia - 14

Braeden - 11

Braeden - 11

Liam - 9

Liam - 9

Macy - 5

Macy - 5

Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers store!

Blog Archive

What you should know about HIV

-HIV can NOT be spread through casual/household contact. HIV is not spread through hugging, kissing, shaking hands, sharing toys, sneezing, coughing, sharing food, sharing drinks, bathing, swimming or any other casual way. It has been proven that HIV and AIDS can only be spread through sexual contact, birth, breastfeeding and blood to blood contact (such as sharing needles). - HIV is now considered a chronic but manageable disease. With treatment, people who are HIV+ can live indefinitely without developing AIDS and can live long and full lives. - People who are HIV+ deserve to be treated with love, respect, support and acceptance as all people do. Additional information on transmission of HIV can be found on the Center for Disease Control website: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources

Other Awesome Blogs

Orphan Crisis

• 147 million orphans in the world
• 50 million orphans in Africa 
• Every 14 seconds a child is orphaned by AIDS
• 16,000,000 have been orphaned by AIDS
• Every week, AIDS claims as many lives as American fatalities in the Vietnam War
• 854 million people do not have enough to eat
• Malnutrition is associated with the deaths of 5 million children under the age of five
• Every 2 seconds an orphan dies from malnutrition


Hence the title of my blog

Little Did I Know

Little did I know that the road would be so rocky
Little did I know that the trip would take so long
Little did I know that my heart could hurt so much
Little did I know that God is never wrong

Little did I know that love could be so powerful
Little did I know that a dream so far could go
Little did I know that God would place the right ones
Little did I know that my heart, so large, could grow

Little did I know that a dream has it’s own timing
Little did I know that this day would finally come
Little did I know that four souls would be sent to guide me
Little did I know that they would choose to call me mom

But God knew all along and He had a plan to follow
God knew all along that my dream would soon come true
God knew all along that we five should be together
God knew all along that I’d share it all with you